A Family Tradition
Norris Hubbard Bragg and Sumner Basford founded a blacksmith supply business, Bragg & Basford, in 1854. The company opened its doors in downtown Bangor and remained there for 112 years.
By 1863, Norris was running the company himself, and so was pleased to welcome his son Norris Everett into the company in 1867 — and to change the company name to N.H. Bragg & Son. Unfortunately, N.H. Bragg didn’t live to see his younger son Charles become part of the company, or to see its name change once again, this time to N.H. Bragg & Sons.
In 1905, the company incorporated with Charles serving as president and his son Franklin Everett Bragg as treasurer. By this time, N.H. Bragg & Sons had added Model T Ford parts to its inventory — the start of nine decades in the auto parts business.
In the 1950’s, N.H. Bragg began delivering welding cylinders to its customers, Charles F. Bragg II took on the role of president following the death of his father, Franklin, and by 1967, the company had moved to its current Perry Road location.
When Charles F. Bragg II retired in 1980, his nephew G. Clifton Eames became president, and the company opened auto supply stores in Fairfield and Winslow, its first branch locations.
Today, N.H. Bragg is still family-owned and operated by fifth generation John Bragg, who became president of the company in 1992, and sixth generation Jon Eames, the company’s vice president and general manager — both of whom oversaw the 2004 expansion of the Bangor showroom and the move of the company’s southern Maine division to Westbrook.
|John W. Bragg
Charles F. Bragg II
|G. Clifton Eames II
Photo by Warren Roos
courtesy of Industrial Distribution